Sunday, March 18, 2007

Head Wounds Sure can Bleed

We have had one very interesting day!

To start off with my Birthday was yesterday and I spent most of it here in my recliner with a nasty chest cold. I also was up most of the night coughing. So it was out of sheer exhaustion that I slept later than the kids this morning. My husband also wasn't feeling good, but still stayed up till 1:00 in the morning getting the hot water hooked up in its new place.

I finally crawled out of bed this morning, mind you I never do this. When the kids, especially the two year old, gets up I'm up! There is no hitting the snooze button with her. So to say the least I was happy and ready to scream when I got up and walked in to where the kids were.

My oldest had managed to make sure everyone had the biggest possible bowl of cereal. So much for that lasting another week.

Then I walked into the bathroom and wanted to faint. I had forgotten to put the bottle of children's Tylenol back into the medicine cabinet last night. The two year old had managed to climb up on the bathroom counter and got the bottle. She had managed to get it open and drink what was left. I ran for the phone, found the poison control number online and called it. The lady was very sweet. We even got a few laughs out of it. But there was only 1/4 of the bottle in there and she would have had to of drank more than half a bottle to be a real concern. So she just warned me that Jamie may get a tummy ache, but really should be fine. Well the little brat was fine all day.

Then Grandma and Grandpa came over for a visit and to help us out with moving this furnace from the basement to the boys closet, so it gives me more room for my office.

James hollered out the door to call our oldest home from playing with the neighbor girl. He started running home. Suddenly I hear my son screaming at the top of his lungs as he is walking up the porch, and his father is already telling me to get him a rag. So I grab a couple paper towels and run to see what the ruccas is about. Christopher is screaming and blood is dripping down the front of him. James quickly grabbed the paper towels and covered up his head. He didn't let me see it. He just said "He needs stitches. Let's go." Fortunate for us my parents were visiting, so they could watch the two younger ones. It wasn't until we were in the car that I truly got to understand what happened. The neighbors had pruned their trees and the end of one branch caught him just right and sliced the side of his head.

We get to the immediate care and he is still crying and letting out a few screams. Even as they were numbing and cleaning him he would let out whimpers or cry so hard he'd get worked up. The doctor kept asking, "am I hurting you?" Christopher would just tell him no he was just scared because he didn't want to get stitches.

At one point I had to set down. I hadn't eaten lunch yet so I was already shaky, but when I saw them lay back the flap of skin from his scalp to clean it............ It makes my head hurt to even think of it. Eleven stitches later it was finally over and we headed out. On his way out the nurse gave him a sucker. He was fine after that, that was until about an hour ago when the numbness started to wear off. Now his head hurts.

I about had a heart attach when I got the bill. My husband and son were already out in the car when I got done with that. I told James the amount of the bill, and he told Christopher "you better make the most of that sucker. That was a $300 sucker kiddo."

When we got home James jokingly pointed out to Christopher how he had now stained our new front deck. Oh well, the pleasure of having children. They have to leave their mark for you to look back on in old age and remember those moments.

I told James when I got home, "I think we need to put Justin in a bubble. He is the only one that nothing has happened to this weekend." James, Jamie and myself have been sick, Jamie drinks more than recommended dose of children's Tylenol, and Christopher slices his head open on a tree branch. Yikes what a weekend!

No comments:

Google Search